Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Capri needs help and eventually a home

I subscribe to the Bide a wee newsletter and I hear all the wonderful stories of them caring for animals that have been abandoned and abused. If you can, check out their webpage, and I know tines are tough, but if it's possible send them a donation. http://www.bideawee.org/ Thanks!








I'm called Capri, and
people who meet me call me cute as well! I have quite a sunny name, and I only wish I could say the same about my life. Things have been tough for me ever since I was born. I was born blind, and I'd been abandoned as a puppy at a shelter where "special" dogs like me had no chance to go anywhere else. Most people just didn't or couldn't care for a dog like me. Still, the shelter staff tried to find someone that would, someone who'd give me a chance. Just when it seemed like there was no hope for me, the shelter got in touch with Bideawee to tell them my story and how much I needed help. Bideawee's staff said, "yes," then they came and took me to my new home.









I was so happy! How lucky could I be? Well, maybe not so lucky. There was a reason why I'd lost my sight. My retinas had never developed, and I had pretty bad glaucoma. Even though I couldn't use my eyes, they caused me such pain that I just couldn't be my normal puppy self.


Still, being at Bideawee brought me a change in luck. I got adopted, even though I still lost my right eye because it bothered me so much; and I felt like I'd won a lottery. Just when things seemed to be going well, though, my family's circumstances changed two years later, and they couldn't keep me any longer. Bideawee took me in once again, desperate to make sure I wouldn't wind up in a shelter that would rather euthanize me than let me live.




I lost my right eye to illness, and I'd lost my home because of things I could not control. Now it turns out that I'm losing my left eye because the glaucoma causes me too much pain. The surgery will mean I won't live in pain anymore; but it also means I'll live the rest of my life without my eyes. I'm recuperating now, and it will be a long, slow process. Once I'm healed, I'll have to hope that I will again find a home, one that won't mind a dog missing her eyes. Until then, I'll stay with Bideawee, as they do what they can to help me get better.







As much as Bideawee's helped me already, they need help, too, so they can give other cats and dogs like me shelter from the troubles we face. I wish I could do more than give the staff here licks and big, wet kisses, though I try to live up to my lovely name by being sweet to everyone I meet - the staff, other dogs, and even cats.




Bideawee is important to special pets like me; and pet lovers like you are important to Bideawee. Without your support, I'd never have been rescued and given another chance. I never would have gotten the surgery to relieve my pain, to help me have a better life. Your generosity means a girl like me gets the attention and care that makes a big, positive difference. Although I'm blind, I see that I'm in a place where special cats and dogs like me are welcome. Please help Bideawee today, so it can continue to save pets like me - pets special both inside and out.



ADOPTION CENTERS

Manhattan
410 East 38th Street New York, NY 10016212.532.4455ManhattanAdoptions@bideawee.org

Wantagh
3300 Beltagh Avenue Wantagh, NY 11793516.785.4079WantaghAdoptions@bideawee.org

Westhampton
118 Old Country Road Westhampton, NY 11977631.325.0200WesthamptonAdoptions@bideawee.org

No comments:

Post a Comment